Today (June 8 ) is World Oceans Day, what are you doing to spread the word? On World Oceans Day people around the planet celebrate and honor the ocean, for what it represents and what it provides us with. To celebrate, how about giving green cleaning a go?
Living in a squeaky clean world often makes us scrub away with some heavy duty cleaning products to get that nice clean feel. With ingredients such as:
- Formaldehyde: a carcinogen found in air fresheners.
- Ammonia: a volatile chemical found in bathroom cleaners.
- Chlorine: bad to inhale and found in dish detergents, bleaches, and plastics.
I know, we all get that sweet satisfaction from getting our ‘clean’ on however, using some very basic cleaning ingredients you can still get that squeaky feeling! And remember, because you’re keeping it nice and simple and using fewer harsh chemicals, the oceans will be smiling too.
Here are our top 5 hot tips to get that natural clean feel without using harsh chemicals:
- Air freshener: put two cups of boiling water into a small bowl and drop in 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. The lovely fresh vapor will kill smells in the stinkest of rooms.
- Sink cleaner: Fill a spray bottle with half water and half white vinegar. Spray the surface and leave for 2 minutes. Wipe off. Also is a fantastic window cleaner!
- Washing deodorizer: Smelly gym socks?? Add 2 teaspoons of eucalyptus oil to your load of washing for a fresh scent and clean feel.
- Dirty Shirt Cleaner: Simply spray vinegar onto the collar or underarms before putting them into the wash. Hang to dry in the sun!
- Toilet Cleaner: Use vinegar and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Shiny loo for you!
Too hard basket?: If you don’t want to make your own and it’s all in the too hard basket, have a look at our GreySmart Garden Friendly Product Library which gives you a full run down on environmentally safe products.
Nature’s Organics Earth Choice brand has a fantastic new commercial out about how mainstream cleaning products can damage our water ways and aquatic animals.
Got any hot tips for green cleaning in your house (and ours!)? Comment below! We’ll give away some green cleaning products to the best ones.